Tuesday, July 5, 2011

WHY LAW?

I started my first day as a law student in the Institute of law, Nirma University with huge expectations and unknown anxieties. It started off with a truly inspirational first class by Prof. N.R Madhav Menon, Founder of National Law School Bangalore. Then was the formal introductions by all my batch mates to the teachers. There was one thing common with all of these. A question put up not only by Prof. Madhav Menon but by the teachers as well.


WHY LAW?


Each and every single student was asked to share with class why he/she wanted to do law in his/her life. After all we were in a Law school, This question was expected. But the answers were not. In my class there were people with a different view of the subject and what they wanted to achieve out of it. Most of them went on to answer that they chose law as it is a lucrative career and sure it does bring in fat pay tags. There were a few going into services to help develop our country like the judicial services, IAS, IRS and so on. There were a few going into the field of litigation mostly because a member of their family had already set up a decent law firm for themselves and most probably they will join the family business. And there were a few, I tell you a real few that wanted to use Law as a method to help people. 


I was one of the few.


My reason to do law is purely incidental. I always never thought of law as a career option for me as i'm not much of a speaker. What started off as a mere research on the net, made me stumble on the enormous world of Human Rights. According to me, Every individual on the face of the earth has their own set of rights. They may not know it as such but when in time of need or when their given rights are violated they need to stand up to defend it. People need to be educated what their rights mean to them and how helpful it can be. 
My mission is to help people. People like my mother who has suffered her 18 years of marriage just because she couldn't afford an attorney, people like naina, a girl of 15 yrs who has been denied education due to an medical leave of 15 days and was prohibited to enter back into school and now has a career of domestic chores in people's house. You can hear a huge number of stories like these but only a handful of people fighting for it.


I, Prathiksha Ravi want to not only help these people but also educate them about their rights so they need not let their children go through what they went through.


It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important.
Martin Luther King, Jr. 

No comments:

Post a Comment